Like any home appliance, air conditioners need a little TLC to deliver optimal performance. It's the ACs that haven't been kept in top-notch condition that tend to struggle most in heat.
To make sure you don't lose your cool once the weather warms up, we asked the experts at Consumer Reports and air conditioner pros to identify the most typical issues that emerge with window and main air conditioners. They highlighted 8 issues to repair now. Plus, you'll discover our list of leading a/c unit for little, medium, and big rooms, below.
The No. 1 problem affects both window units and central Air Conditioner systems, and-- we enjoy to report-- it's the most convenient to repair. Here are 8 concerns to ask that will assist you keep your A/C at peak performance all summertime long.
1. Is the Filter Dirty?
No matter which type of air conditioning unit you have, a clogged filter restricts airflow, decreasing efficiency and lowering the capability to successfully cool the air. If you have not cleaned the filter in your window or portable ac system recently, make sure you do and then examine it occasionally. For main A/C systems, inspect the filter producer's recommendation for when to swap in a brand-new one. In CR's tests, filters last anywhere from 3 to 12 months.
Simply bear in mind that if your system is running constantly or if you have pets, you will need to alter your filters more frequently. "When we get calls about main air systems that aren't working well, nine times out of 10 it's because of a dirty filter," states Stewart Unsdorfer, owner of Central Heating & Cooling in Cleveland.
What Matters to You Matters to United States
We evaluate thousands of products so you can develop your finest house.
2. Is It Too Sunny Inside?
If your window Air Conditioning is in a window that gets direct sunshine in the heat of the day, it'll need to work more difficult to cool your space. If you have a choice, move it to a shadier area. If not, keep your tones and drapes drawn throughout the day to block the sun and prevent it from warming up your home.
3. Is Warm Air Leaking In? Inspect the seals around your window Air Conditioning to make sure hot air isn't getting in (or cold air isn't permeating out). Reseal around your system with weather condition stripping if necessary.
" Most brand-new window systems include insulation panels to place over the plastic adjustable side panels," says Chris Regan, CR's senior air conditioning system tester. "However to take full advantage of efficiency, you'll still need to utilize weather condition stripping around the perimeter of the system. And constantly utilize the manufacturer's installation and security hardware."
4. Is Your Window A/C Vibrating? Ac system make plenty of sound, consisting of from the whir of the fan and the sound of the compressor cycling on and off. These sounds are regular. But if you hear a vibrating noise, it might indicate that your unit was installed improperly. Ensure it's sitting safely in the window and review the setup directions in your owner's manual to confirm that no actions were missed out on.
Central Air Conditioning List
5. Is the Thermostat on the Right Setting?
With a clever or programmable thermostat, you can more easily control the temperature level in your house so that it's comfortable when you're there and a bit warmer when you're not. If the temperature level seems off, make sure the thermostat isn't exposed to direct sunshine, which might cause it to sign up the incorrect temperature.
6. Are the Registers Dirty or Blocked?
If you have a forced-air heating and cooling system, frequently vacuum the signs up to remove any dust buildup. Make certain that furniture and other objects aren't obstructing the air flow through your registers.
7. Are Plants Crowding the Compressor?
The outside compressor for central air conditioning needs appropriate air flow to work correctly, so make certain there's at least 2 to 3 feet of area between the compressor and any plants or structures. There should likewise be 5 feet of clearance between the top of the unit and any trees above.
8. Did You Keep In Mind the Annual follow this link Examination? An assessment by a HEATING AND COOLING (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) service technician can catch any serious issues before they get worse and leave you hot and troubled. The specialist will examine all the moving parts, in addition to the refrigerant, and recharge the system if essential.
Required a New AC?
If your space a/c unit is beyond repair, you can discover one that did well in our tests for as little as around $200 for a little unit and upwards of $800 for a big one. Ensure you match the size of the air conditioning unit to the space it's implied to cool. Below, we note models in each size that carried out well in CR's tests. You can find more in our full a/c scores.